Well. It’s been a weekend for sure. Cassidy went to Cape Cod and I drove the kids to New Jersey to see some of their favorite cousins, aunts and uncles. This has never happened to me in my life but I managed to “kiss” another car on my way into a parking space. Previously, I had never even hit so much as a small rodent, although I have hit the curb and I hit my garage door once at my old house. That said, I waited to tell the people and it was just a scrape on their car – tiny, tiny – but I realized then and there that I will never have the kind of life in which I will worry about scratches on my car. It’s just not worth it to me. (ugly car or not) And if someone “kisses” my car? I will nicely say, “Have a nice day and no worries.” Clearly that happened in San Francisco… daily… and Cassidy’s bumper is pretty much one network of 17,000 lines or “kisses”.
And it’s all good. After a few great dinners and the Blairstown Memorial Day Parade, which was the longest parade I’ve ever seen (about an hour long), we’re home and I’m cuddling Dinah and linking up with Tuesday Ten – Summer 2015 Bucket Lists.
I discussed our family bucket lists HERE, but this one here will be all mine. All weird, all mine, and hopefully all completed by fall of 2015. What’s on YOUR personal summer bucket list, if you were just thinking about your own summer dreams?
1. The White Mountains are alive with the sound of music. One of my birthday wishes is to visit the White Mountains of New Hampshire with my family. One of my dreams is to ride the Cog Railway up Mt. Washington but it’s very expensive and I’d be happy to go to the summit in our car. I haven’t been there in ages, but I do remember and I have read that there’s clam chowder (and other goodies) at the top of the tallest mountain this side of the Mississippi. Do it for the chowder. I also want to ride the gondola at Wildcat Mountain or Loon Mountain, take the kids to Story Land, and DEFINITELY try to see moose.
2. Well, heck. I’m even trying to do this next weekend, family willing. I want to go back to the Northeast Kingdom in Vermont. We went for our sixth anniversary last April, just the two of us, and it was very cold and rainy. Fun and successful, but very cold and rainy. We had talked about bringing the kids back to the bogs and basins. It’s so moose-y there!
3. Since my parents live near the Poconos, I would love to go back to Bushkill Falls. I haven’t been in decades! Another dream is Hershey Park but that might be next summer instead. In the least, we can go to The Land of Make Believe with the cousins!
4. New England day trips! I always have big dreams and I always think summer will just be a series of wonderful, weather-perfect day trips. And then real life and thunderstorms and day camp and anxiety pile up like a brick wall and I can’t quite get through. So I lounge around in air-conditioning. Well-planned trips and accountability do leave room for a lot, and the kids will be game and I will be pushing through. I’m thinking Six Flags a lot since we get season passes, Legoland Boston and Flour Bakery (Hi, Bev!), and Edaville. Thomasland is opening in mid-August. Perfect. Add in museums, zoos, and parks galore.
5. Cape Cod, of course! Last year we didn’t get to go for very long. Two years ago we went twice – once for a quick overnight and a second time mid-week without Cassidy to spend more time there. That second time was key. The weather was horrible but we were never rushing anywhere. It was the feel of a real summer vacation – within our own state, and within our own family’s beach house. You can’t beat it! Last year we went out for ice cream – bonus points this year for a romantic dinner.
6. Fireworks, of course! Scarlet and I try to go on a fireworks date each year. Perhaps, Des will join us. Perhaps not.
8. We always do Tanglewood in the summer but I also want to see a concert there! Sheryl Crow is playing with the Boston Pops.. Huey Freakin’ Lewis is playing.. James Taylor is playing but it’s sold out. I believe we already missed the Indigo Girls.
9. Nature-ous stuff! Berry picking and even some light gardening. I get weird after too long in the sun but I’d like to help Scarlet and Cassidy. Is night gardening a thing? I also want to climb Sugarloaf Mountain with the family!
10. Personal growth, marital growth, parental growth, sexy summer nights, ice cream, and fighting my demons.
**Bonus! Maine. We’re already planning a lot and the kids will have several weeks of day camp. I still dream, though. Baxter State Park? Moosehead Lake – where moose outnumber humans 3 to 1? Bar Harbor, crab cakes and a cozy bed and breakfast?