This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BeHealthyForEveryPartofLife #CollectiveBias
It’s the getting in and out of freezing cars and being shuffled into overheated and crowded restaurants. It’s the fact that one, two or all four family members might be sick in the fall and winter. It’s the fact that it’s my busy, busy season – the tail end of wedding and foliage season, right into the start of holiday card season. And that’s just photography. There’s blogging too. There’s his job. There’s his cough and my cold. There’s open house nights and Magic: The Gathering and Ladies Game Night and days I want nothing more than to take a peppermint bath and curl up with a bowl of popcorn. Alone, though.
Sometimes it’s hard to feel sparky. Sparkly? No, sparky. You know the feeling. Crushy. Swoony. Dizzy, but in a good way. And since I took the time to post a 20 part love story on this blog when I was pregnant with my son and since my friend once told me that nearly every story I tell is romantic, it shouldn’t be too hard for me to channel a great date night. I’m a die-hard romantic and I’m a dreamer and I’d like to be even more of a do-er, since that seems to be my trend right now. What can I do during these cold nights? I can schedule a great date. I still love to get excited and dressed up for him, as if we’ve just met.
1. Popped popcorn on the stove, maybe a sweet treat as well, and a holiday movie marathon.
2. Find a favorite cozy restaurant to visit again or discover – preferably one with soup.
3. Choose a movie theater and go, and see the first movie that’s about to play. No matter what!
4. Trivia Night at a bar! We have themed ones near us – like Star Wars and Harry Potter. Definitely no reason to miss.
5. Breakfast! If you’re really enterprising – hotel and then breakfast. This requires preparation which leads me to..
1. Have a sitter you firmly trust. There are options out there – word-of-mouth, Care.com, or the local college job boards always have college students looking for extra work. We sometimes use a friend’s nanny, but make sure we do it only on days she’s not working for our friends. Another thing we do is line up grandparents for a date night, or overnight or weekend!
2. Get all work stuff done, out of the way and out of mind. I’m a workaholic and it’s hard for me to go through life without checking emails or voicemails. Give yourself time to do so to be fully present on the date. I actually just put my phone away, if I take it all, and leave Cassidy’s phone number with our sitters.
3. Put on good music. There is nothing so healing and inspiring to me as music. I am writing to it right now!
4. Have an outfit picked out. A special one. It’s hard for me not to wear the same ripped jeans I drop the kids off in, but date night is special. Pamper too. I love to do face masks and maybe take a hot bath. I don’t do those things often, so it is really special. It helps put me in the mood for an amazing time.
5. Stock your purse with date night essentials. In my case, that includes Emergen-C, ChapStick Total Hydration and Advil.
On one of my first dates with Cassidy ever, I started to feel like I was coming down with something and I didn’t want anything to spoil the date so I bought Emergen-C. Since then I always have it on hand. I really love the variety:
More Healthy Days, More Healthy Nights
“Let Your Healthy Out”
With over 20 varieties of vitamin supplement drink mixes, Emergen-C offers the formula, flavor, fix, and FUN you’re looking for!
Advil is another important one for me. With the time you make for date night, it’s just precious, and you never know if it will be the one night you have a headache or any discomfort. Even if you’re not prone to headaches or discomforts, like I’m not, I still keep it in my purse to make sure nothing stands in my way:
Use as directed.
Nothing’s faster on tough pain (among OTC pain relievers).
Advanced liquid fast relief
My third purse essential for date night is ChapStick Total Hydration. It smells awesome and I love having soft lips. It’s sort of a thing with me. This is what I love about ChapStick Total Hydration:
Advanced nourishing formula with argan oil and avocado butter and rosehip oils
Instantly smoothes and moisturizes
Visibly renews lips
With omega 6 & 9
Clinically proven healthier looking lips