Our Monday morning of this week had a deep case of the Mondays.
It started with Cassidy, Des and Athena going on a composting adventure, as one does on Monday mornings at 5:30 am, and then getting the car stuck in the mud in the yard. It was laundry day, and unseasonably warm, and I realized the only decent and clean thing I had to wear was a pretty, fancy dress. Tow trucks were called. Vans were unstuck. Fancy sundresses were worn.
The car was caked in mud, only to contrast with my pretty dress.
While talking with the family in the morning, somewhere between the car being pulled out of the mud, and the car being loaded for preschool, I got an email notification reminder that this week’s #TuesdayTen topic was “Ten Things I Love About Mom.”
My answers started revealing themselves right there in the kitchen. As often, I raced upstairs and said, “I have to write this down before I forget!” My version of this week’s #TuesdayTen topic is: Ten Things I Loved On or Around Mother’s Day This Year.
1. It’s what Scarlet said. During the messy, fancy Monday morning, Cassidy asked Scarlet what her favorite thing was about me. I guess a little post Mother’s Day recap. And she replied, “I don’t want to answer one because I want to answer – everything.”
2. After Scarlet made my heart flutter with her words, Cassidy told her how amazing and important it was that I stay home with them and that I’m there every step of the way. He then looked into my eyes to tell me too. It’s always been a sensitive subject for us – lack of money with our lifestyle, but my realization that my heart would be broken to send them to childcare. This has been sensitive to me for years so to hear it from Cassidy’s mouth was probably in the top three best things he could say. It is hard, but it is a gift, and he recognized it as so. And I do believe our kids are very lucky to have so much love and time with us.
That is our way and it is the best way for this family.
3. And that photo brings me to the next thing I loved on or around Mother’s Day. Every year around mid-May, I try to get Cassidy to take a photo of ME! Me! And this year we had a new addition. Here were some of the other outtakes from our portrait session:
4. On the subject of moms, one of my mothers-in-law is currently visiting the village in Romania where her mother grew up – a place described to her in vivid stories since her youth, and she has only ever dreamed about it. What a life adventure right there.
5. My other mother-in-law (I don’t have two husbands. Rather, Cassidy’s parents divorced and remarried and all four are my in-laws) sent me perhaps the most beautiful text of my day. She called me a magnificent mom, as well as a beautiful & talented wife, woman, photographer & blogger. She also said she was blessed to have me for a daughter. I feel like I’m the blessed one.
6. I spoke to yet a fourth mother figure in my life, who had recently been feeling more ill than anyone should ever feel. Turns out she’s been feeling fantastic lately. What a gift!
7. I really wanted breakfast out with my whole family, and that included Athena. We have a restaurant/orchard/deli/butcher/grocery store/ice cream shack up the street with amazing views, great food, and a leniency with letting dogs sit at the table with us!
8. I have so many amazing blogging friends who are mothers. (and many amazing blogging friends who are not). I was really feeling the blogging love on and around Mother’s Day.
9. My grandmother celebrated 100 years in November. It is very likely she will be celebrating my sister’s wedding with us this fall. And perhaps she’ll be around to see my sister have a baby too?
10. Well of course. My mom. She is nearly beyond words and photos, and I have tried forever to capture her in both. I do think the photo above (#9) reveals her in her best light – nurturing the dreams and desires of the three generations who surround her.