This post is a collaboration with Bob’s Red Mill. You all know that baking is my mojo! Tis the season to fire up your music of choice and get to baking delicious treats for your loved ones. Made with Love, Baked With Bob’s is the way to go this season
They’re made in a pan, and then sliced and served to perfection. They are both sweet and tart, soft and chewy, and with a bit of a shortbread crunch. Buttery and magical and festive. I can’t say enough good things about this holiday recipe.
Maybe I should tell you exactly why I made them. You see, I’m someone who uses baking as a way to express love. I don’t always know how to express myself – despite being a writer and a photographer and a mama – but the language of oven-baked goods? That one I get and get well. One of my favorite holiday memories is from the first holiday we spent in our house after we had bought it in October of that year. I was just a few days shy of being in my second trimester with Des, and I was feeling good. We live in the woods and have no visible neighbors. That was the first day our nearest set of neighbors came to introduce themselves. Not only did they warmly welcome us, but they came bearing gifts. Cookies! Made with love.
Personally, that’s my weakness. Things have gotten crazy around here lately, haven’t you noticed? Over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, FOUR of my loved ones gave birth. I remember after the vacation was over – just standing in my kitchen and thinking of each one of them. Then I set to work. First, I made some pumpkin apple muffins with our leftover canned pumpkin. Then, I made these cranberry apple pie cookie bars. The inspiration for me is the color and consistency of cranberries. I’ve always had a bit of an obsession with them, but I believe they pair extremely well with flour, butter, and apple. (what doesn’t?) It’s the gift of freshly baked cookies! The ultimate gift, I say. You need the right ingredients, like so:
Massachusetts is actually famous for its cranberries – did you know that? As for the butter, always go for sweet cream (unsalted) for this recipe. For flour, use Bob’s Red Mill products. Their products are of the highest quality to make your baked goods truly shine! Like me, Bob’s believes in making our world a better place through small acts of kindness. And what’s the best small act of kindness? For me it’s Made With Love, Baked With Bobs. And Cranberry Apple Pie Bars.
There is something I’m not good at – not fretting over gift giving to the people I care about the most. Like I said, four people I love gave birth over Thanksgiving weekend. I tend to stress over getting them the “perfect” baby gift because they are all people who go above and beyond for me. Baking is my way to say, “Thank you”, “Congratulations,” AND, “I love you.”
- 4 cups Bob's Red Mill Organic All Purpose Baking Flour, sifted
- 2 cups sweet cream butter, softened
- 1.5 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp organic vanilla extract
- 4 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 large apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar (for filling)
- 2 oz. water
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1. Preheat oven to 325 and line a 13x9 baking dish with parchment paper
- 2. Beat sugars and butter on high until light and fluffy and then mix in vanilla
- 3. Stir in flour, a little at a time, until well combined
- 4. Separate the dough and spread half into the prepared baking dish
- 5. Bake for 25 minutes until edges are golden brown
- 6. Meanwhile, place other half in a disc shape and wrap tightly with plastic wrap
- 7. Place in the fridge
- 8. To make the filling, combine cranberries, sugar, water, cornstarch and spices in a large saucepan and cook until fruit is thick and jam-like - for about eight minutes
- 9. It's ok if there are still some whole cranberries
- 10. Add apples
- 11. Remove baking dish from oven and add fruit mixture on top of cookie crust
- 12. Then, take the rest of the dough and roll it out in pieces to completely cover the fruit filling as the top layer
- 13. Bake for 35 minutes and cool for 15 minutes before serving
- 14. Enjoy!
I can’t even tell you what one thing it is that makes these bars so tasty. They’re just the right about of buttery, sweet, tart, crumbly and lovely. They’re also quiet fetching to look at, and they package very beautifully too, as you can see!
What’s your favorite holiday baking recipe with Bob’s Red Mill products?
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Bob’s Red Mill.