Last year, I feel like we accomplished a lot of what was on our lists. It’s only natural to dream BIG for summer, and to channel that “endless summer” feeling you had as a kid – with an entire clean slate of discovery ahead of you. Summer is my weakness. I’ve talked endlessly about being summer-ravenous. I usually dream about and achieve the usual things I love – berry picking, New England road trips, Cape Cod trip, NJ trips, summer concert, ice cream, more ice cream, maybe some moosing too, but this year will be different. I’m dreaming a little bigger. Check it out, and let me know your summer dreams!
Summer Bucket List for 2016:
1. Get on the water! Have you ever felt the wind in your hair as you cruise along in the water? I’ve experienced it in Maryland, in California, in Myrtle Beach, and in New Jersey. Cape Cod – you’re next! I spent so many childhood summers taking vacations on the water with friends and family. There’s no better way to kick off summer, or cruise through summer, than on a boat! I want my kids to have that experience too. Nothing beats those experiences of exploration and cool breezes.
What do you love? What are your favorite boating memories! What does your ideal day on the water look like? I’m having super fun with this boat selector, figuring out my dream boat to ride! This Get On The Water tool will show you local options for boat rentals, classes, and charters – just by you entering a city or zip code! Looking for Youth Boating Programs?
2. Go to California as a family. I haven’t been to Cali in over five years, and I’m feeling the strain! A childhood friend is getting married in Newport Beach, AND, she invited my kids too! I’ve been saving up doing a few extra jobs.. Almost there.
3. I want to go back to the Northeast Kingdom in Vermont. We went for our sixth anniversary last April, just the two of us, and it was very cold and rainy. Fun and successful, but very cold and rainy. We had talked about bringing the kids back to the bogs and basins. It’s so moose-y there! Scarlet and I went late last summer and didn’t see moose, but we bonded!
4. Since my parents live near the Poconos, I would love to go back to Bushkill Falls. I haven’t been in decades! Another dream is Hershey Park but that might be next summer instead. In the least, we can go to The Land of Make Believe with the cousins!
5. Cape Cod, of course! Last two years we didn’t get to go for very long. Three years ago we went twice – once for a quick overnight and a second time mid-week without Cassidy to spend more time there. That second time was key. The weather was horrible but we were never rushing anywhere. It was the feel of a real summer vacation – within our own state, and within our own family’s beach house. You can’t beat it! Last two years we went out for ice cream – bonus points for more.
*Bonus. Fireworks, New England day trips, great camp experiences for the kids, great work experiences (like Blogger Bash!) for me, and lots of time to grow, rest, and learn. Ever more personal, mental, emotional, physical (exercise) growth for me.
What’s on your summer bucket list? In the realm of getting on the water with #DiscoverBoating, watch this short, inspirational, tear-jerking film – Good Run! It’s made by Inception’s award-winning cinematographer, Wally Pfister.
What is #DiscoverBoating? Discover Boating is a national, nonprofit program on behalf of the US recreational boating industry aimed to help people get on the water to experience the fun of boating. For those looking to get their feet wet, DiscoverB is an unbiased online resource packed with easy, interactive features on all things boating, including a boat selector tool, get on the water tab where you can find rentals, classes and charters, cost comparison tool, renting options, youth boating programs, education courses – even nautical lingo and how-to videos.