You could say we’ve been through some times together. My birth. Her nicknaming me NuNu when I came home from the hospital and she was nearly two-years-old. There was our father’s death. Our mother’s remarriage. Going from two siblings to five. There was my wedding. My kids. And now her wedding, and eventually her kids. Maid of honor speeches and tears and years. Losses and gains. A heck of a lot of mischief too. She’s one of my best friends. My big sister and now blogger, Lindsay!
Her blog is about attaining the life that you want. It’s about making you feel possible. My sister has undergone so many life changes in the past few years – discovering, mastering and then teaching yoga. Eating cleanly but realistically. Following new paths with the many ways in which you can be a DJ. Falling in love and planning her own dream wedding. Being healthy.
#AskAwayFriday was created by the amazing Penny from Real Housewife of Caroline County and Amber from Bold Fit Mom, as a way to connect with other bloggers with a great Q & A session of 10 questions and 10 answers, between two bloggers! This is a wonderful opportunity to get to know others while allowing others to get to know you and of course there is also the added bonus of making great friends along the way which is one of the best parts of this online world! Ask me if you want to swap!
We are sad to be losing Amber as one of our amazing co-hosts, as she is working to pursue other business ventures and focusing her attentions on her fitness ventures. We wish her nothing but the best, and hope for her thriving success!
When one door closes, another one opens…and we would like to give a huge Ask Away Friday welcome to a brand new co-host…drum roll please…Welcome Echo from The Mad Mommy! She is both a friend and a fellow blogger. I dig her.
Tiffany from Mrs. Tee Love Life Laughter,
Christy from Uplifting Families,
Stacey from This Momma’s Ramblings
Echo from The Mad Mommy
We are so happy to welcome Natasha from Epic Mommy Adventures into the #AskAwayLadies family for the next two weeks. I am sure most of us know her since she is one of the gurus of LinkUps and Blog Parties! She is the amazing Host behind such parties as Turn It Tuesday and if you are looking for a place to connect and share your best content Epic Mommy Adventures is the place to go.
Check out Lindsay’s answers to my questions HERE. And here are my answer’s to my blogger sister’s questions about love!
1. I have a theory you can have different kinds of love for people, in this case men, in one lifetime. I was one of your biggest cheerleaders when you picked Cassidy to be the “love of your life”, but can you say you have loved more then once? If so, how many times, and try to label their love. For example, I “loved” my boyfriend in my 20’s, but it was a “growing up” kind of love, not the love of my life, or one I could see myself with forever. (Sorry I got right in there fast didn’t I?!)
Ah. Yes. So many types of love. It’s so easy to overanalyze too, isn’t it? I’ve said I was in love with five men – or at least had that mutual thing with five. Surely there were some love stories that only took place in my head, you follow? Of those five, the last two were some serious sh*t. Very serious sh*t. Life-planning. Brushing his chronically ill father’s teeth and rushing towards his father and not away from him when he couldn’t breathe and nearly passed away. Serious Sh*t Love. I only married one of the two, of course. The others before these two? I can label them in order – First Love, Physical Love (he was HOT), and Growing Up Love. I like that one. You never forget the guy who put that camera in your hand and told you to fly, right?
2. Two part question here (again) : When did it hit you that Cassidy was “the one”?
I have to go here because I have had a BAD run and I know how much that YOU, my sister, cared I would find the one…..When or what made you decide that Mike was “the one” for me, your big hearted big sis?
It hit me in that child-like way when we saw our first moose together in 2004. He was sleeping that night and I just looked at him and thought, “Well he made my dreams come true, didn’t he?” I was 24, though, and he wasn’t ready either so we had our terrible split. So I definitely figured it out a lot more when we got back in touch two long years later. I think by email, when we both realized we loved Harry Potter and had filled our gap two years with it.. that was something. I had a boyfriend though, as you know. So when Cassidy flew east so that we could see each other and I could figure out my two relationships.. when he got off that plane at JFK Airport in late 2006, AFTER a bomb scare, mind you, and threw his suitcase on the ground only to lift me into the air? I think I knew then. I didn’t admit it right away, though. I had to get my affairs in order. (not literally) As for Mike, it was Christmas of 2013! I saw him chilling out with Cassidy and Matt and he had such a genuine look on his face and I just thought, “Wow, that’s the guy for Lindsay!” It was sealed by your romantic engagement photos that I took.
3. Cassidy is an AMAZING planner, what has been your favorite Valentine’s Day with him so far? Has there, gulp, ever been a bad one?
I loved our first one together in 2007, right before I moved to California. We weren’t both in California yet, but he sent a big package of awesome goodies. I think the more romantic things he did weren’t on Valentine’s Day, though. They were surprises. Like a dozen chocolate covered strawberries delivered to work. Or photos sent with Tom Petty lyrics. Or the time he sent himself 3,000 miles to my work! There was a bad holiday when Scarlet was a baby because she was sick and so was I!
4. We were both raised with every holiday including Valentine’s Day, do you carry on any similar Valentine’s traditions with your children (my niece and nephew!), or have you created any new ones?
I’m sad to say that I still bow down before Mom. I get paralyzed by wanting things to be just so, that I haven’t carried on traditions very well. Mom still does those special things for the kids, so I let her! And then Mom becomes our collective Valentine. Now that Scarlet is in grade school, I imagine we’ll make valentines together tonight. Des’ teacher gave us some construction paper, since I felt too sick to go to the store, so I’ll show Scarlet that I make a mean construction paper heart!
5. If I was able to babysit for a whole weekend, because obviously I’m your first pick in the babysitting department, or at least I pretend to be (kidding mom), what would be the most romantic way to spend the weekend with just Cassidy kid free!
I’m at that point in this cold virus, in which I forget that people go out and have fun, and that romance exists. Does it still? Depending on the season, I’d love to go to a cabin on a mountain with him. Heck, any season works! Road trip!
6. Let’s get a little dirty, even if you are my baby sister, do you have any hot and/or romantic fantasies you’d like to play out with my big brother, your husband!? We can keep it as FCC or as nonFCC as you like! It is only the world wide web, and your kids will never be able to find this in the future….
Hot for teacher! (I heard it on the radio today) When we first got together and he put on his glasses to drive or watch movies, I thought he looked like a teacher. My first fantasy, though, is that we are all healthy and well-rested, kind to each other, helping each other, doing what we love, and sleeping in as much as possible. The rest of the good stuff would follow.
7. I know we are both big fans of the song “Love is all you need” by the Beatles, and even both incorporated it into our weddings, do you think this is true? Can you tell us a story about a time that this may have worked for you in a hard time, or worked for you in a good time?
I do think it’s true. Otherwise, what’s the point of anything? Well love for yourself and love for what you do is really important, but hey, that’s love. And I’d be hard-pressed to find a time in which love didn’t work for me in a hard time. I suppose us getting back together was because of a strong love, because we hadn’t had a horribly strong foundation first.
8. Your relationship with Cassidy felt like a movie for everyone in our family from the courting, to the breakup , to the marriage, to the WEDDING, to the beautiful kids, when reality finally sunk in and you both had to live a life of rat races and diapers, and fights, and making up, etc……What is the one thing that Cassidy can do which will make you forget you are mad at him? What is the biggest thing he does to annoy you? (sorry Cassidy I know you do nothing annoying I’m just trying to engage our readers!)
I feel like these questions are incredible but I’m extremely irritable and sick right now, so I hope I’m getting across what I want to get across. I just have to assume I have a natural knack for it, because I’ve sneezed 117 times since I started this! Now. Where were we? Well it’s what worsened our breakup and sped our reunion. It’s when he turns from stone to human. I’m imagining that goes for me too, but since this question isn’t about me and this is my blog, let’s just talk about him. The biggest thing he can do is be warm and friendly. And the most annoying thing he can do is not be warm and friendly. I think I’m more even-tempered than my three family members, and maybe they’d laugh at that thought, but this is my blog. “I have a microphone and you don’t!” (Wedding Singer quote) Also, the TV is always too loud! I have super sensitive hearing.
9. What is the key to your heart….besides cookies of course which is a given!
Good grammar. Good hair. Moose. More cookies. More moose. Kindness. Warmth. Love letters. Love songs. Sundresses.
10. When you were young and imagined falling in love, what did you picture? Was is it close to what you have with your family? Was falling in love with Cassidy what you expected it to be like, or more? Is loving your children what you expected, or more?
I’m in no condition to answer this! Which I suppose actually makes it the best time, because it’s all about the worst times too, isn’t it? Falling in love was what I expected but better. Falling in love with my kids was much more than I expected, but also so much more difficult. Is the family life now how I pictured it? Eh, sometimes. I think it has a lot of potential but I personally am capable of a lot more. So many things are so hard. We all go through this. True love is a choice. I never really figured that out until later, and I’m sure I still don’t know even close to anything. We are constantly battered with information and misinformation and temptation and miscommunication and bad communication and silence and sickness and anxiety.
Bonus question (because you did and I’m copying like a smart sister should) Show us a picture, since you have the BEST photos, of being in love with Cassidy during the dating time period, AND describe the memory…Double bonus with rainbow sprinkles if a song takes you there, name the song!
I took this with my old film camera, after we had only known each other for two or three days. We slept on the floor of his mom’s house in a mess of pillows and blankets. His mom was in Alaska! We woke up one morning and I was feeling a little weird. It was this photo morning. I had growing pains. He got on the phone after I took this photo and called a bed & breakfast in Maine. He asked them, “What are the chances of seeing moose in your town?” They said, “About as good of a chance of seeing deer where you live.” Sold! We listened to U2’s Achtung Baby when we drove back to New York City.
Be sure to check out our Facebook page “AskAwayFriday” for a great place to meet up and send out a #BuddyRequest if you need a partner to swap with or to just talk about anything #AskAwayFriday!
By adding your email to this link up, you will be added to email correspondence that may be sent by one of our hosts, you may opt out at any time.
Hosts reserve the right to remove any links that do not pertain to the #AskAwayFriday theme.