Top Ten Kick-A** Things Scarlet Has Done Lately (in no particular order):
10. When asked, “Who farted?” She smiles and says, “Me.” And if that’s not cool enough, she was cranky while I changed her for bed the other night and when I asked her, “Who farted?” while she was in her cranky tirade, she whined, “Meeeeee!” in the middle of crank fest.
9. I was having a terrible day feeling inadequate in pretty much every aspect of my life. I came home from work and Scarlet ran for a hug. While I held her, she patted my back as if to say, “You’re fine by me, Mama.”
8. She let me play typewriter on her stomach (tickling her as if I’m typing on a keyboard) and somehow I started singing Axel Foley’s theme from the Beverly Hills Cop movies and through her rich layers of laughter, she started singing along to it!
7. I’m a huge dork about the mail coming. I wait all day for it, even though it’s often junk, and I feel a slight letdown after it has happened. The other day, Scarlet heard the mail truck and ran to the window yelling, “Mail!” So proud, was I.
6. Cassidy went up the stairs and Scarlet yelled to get his attention, to no avail. Finally she wolf whistled up the stairs to call him down. It worked!
5. We really like the song, “Dare” by Gorillaz and we changed the words to replace “Dare” with “Bear,” – Scarlet’s second favorite stuffed animal. We sing, “It’s coming up, it’s coming up…” and she says, “It’s Bear.”
4. When she sees me for the first time in the morning she says, “Mama” in the exact way the baby dinosaur from the old TV show “Dinosaurs” used to say, “The Mama!”
3. We somehow learned that she’ll say “Ma’m, Ma’m, Ma’m,” on command. And in a southern twang.
2. When she sees a dog she screams, “Doggy!” And then talks about it for about an hour and she likes to say, “d-d-d-d-doggy!”
1. When I ask her to give me a hug, she runs into my arms with wild abandon and hugs me fiercely around the neck.
Bonus: When she sees Cassidy and me hug or get close, she grins and says, “Uh oh!” I have no idea why but it’s the cutest thing.