1. I go on petfinder.org daily and torture myself with the local puppy pictures. I have done this for years in search of something specific..
2. I’ve always wanted a little dog that listened to me and I could take it everywhere and it wouldn’t run away. I don’t want a purse dog or a little yappy dog, but I do want something trustworthy, loyal, cute and with character. Like a beagle or one of those mini shelties or something. Or something that looks and acts like a Jack Russell but doesn’t have the spazziness. I know one day I’ll have one and I’ll know her the minute I see her.
3. I have a few gray hairs and I’ve had them for over ten years. I kind of like them. When I do eventually go gray for real, I’m not going to dye my hair the exact color it is now. I’m going a shade lighter because I’ve heard black dyed hair makes women’s faces look older. A make-up artist and a hairdresser both told me that.
4. This is a juicy one. I often have dreams about relations with other men. And I *mostly* mean relationships. I fall in love hard with imaginary people on a semi-regular basis. It hurts my heart a little when I wake up sometimes.
5. I haven’t lost the last four or five pounds of my baby weight yet. And I’m fine with it and might choose not to. I was freakishly skinny before I got pregnant – skinnier than I’d been since high school. That’s what cross country road trips can do to a person.
6. I hereby swear that I’m not a picky eater! I’m what scientists call a “Super Taster.” I call it a sensitive palate. There’s nothing wrong with having an extra strong sense of smell and taste…until you offend hosts of dinner parties.
7. When I was really little, I always had crushes on grown men, like my horseback riding instructor, the man who built our house, Michael Jackson, John Stamos, my Aunt’s ex-boyfriend, and more. I know this made sense because I had lost my father right before the crushes started. Anyway, I somehow seated two old objects of my young affection at the same table at our wedding. And my mom made some comment to them about how, “Tammy had a crush on both of you!” And I believe their wives laughed, thankfully.
8. When I was pregnant, I hadn’t had fast food in at least five years but I wanted it a lot. Everyone talked me out of it..for the most part. One day I went to the Burger King drive-thru and ordered large fries. I felt so deliciously bad, sitting all alone in my car buying something I’d never admit to anyone. (until now) Well after one bite, I realized why I don’t eat fast food and tossed them all in the garbage. So I suppose I have mostly retained my clean record, with just a slip-up here and there. (Wendy’s french fries did happen ONCE.)
9. The first day I met Stormy, Cassidy took us to Ocean Beach in San Francisco to watch my first ocean sunset. It had all the makings of romance, until Stormy tore off down the beach and began terrorizing other people’s BBQs and picnics. Cassidy was gone for a long time chasing her and trying to get her back. I sat alone under a blanket in the frigid, foggy night. I should have known then what I was getting myself into. And I admit – I may have been the one to run far, far away.
10. I want another baby. Badly.