Highlights of the last few days:
– My brother Aaron stayed with us for a few days and we showed him some of Northampton’s finest – Sierra Grille and Hillside Pizza as fine examples. Cassidy bonded with him at a Phish show, I bonded with him staying up until 3 am talking and Scarlet bonded with him deeply and instantly. Scarlet really likes to go to sleep to people and wake up to them the next morning. I believe it solidifies them in her mind and then she’s enamored from then on. She had four sleeps that woke up to Aaron. They’re forever friends now.
– Scarlet took her first little step in front of me and Aaron. She was standing and dancing and laughing all at once and then we held our breaths as she took one tiny step and then fell on her padded butt.
– Last night at my parent’s house, Scarlet walked across their carpeted living room pushing her walker over and over. She looked like a little old lady pushing a shopping cart and we were all amused and impressed with her tireless walking. My cheeks hurt from laughing so much.
– This morning I had brunch at Perona Farms with my entire immediate family to celebrate my parent’s 25th anniversary. It was the first time we’ve all been together since Vegas two years ago. And Scarlet was a laughing, hugging, kissing, yelling part of the crazy get together.
– The Poached Eggs special at Perona Farms.
– We got very good news from the surgeon who stitched Scarlet’s cheek. He had gone away for a few weeks the morning after her surgery and we had taken her to another doctor for check-ups in the meantime. It was good for him to see it and we got a glowing report and much needed peace of mind about the state of her face now and how much it will heal in the next year. A pediatrician who has decades of experience also told us how great Scarlet looks and how flawlessly it will heal in the next year.
– Scarlet said a nearly perfect “Matt” to her Uncle Matt. Twice!
– Staying up late with my brother and sister talking about wedding music. It was fun and got me so much more excited for my sister’s wedding in October.
– My husband is hot.
Lowlights of the past few days:
– Scarlet sort of peed in the laps of three of my family members. I’ll pay your dry cleaning bills!
– Sharing a room with Scarlet last night after having forgotten to pack her sound machine. Yeah. Not good. One little sound woke her up and then she tormented us all night. She climbed on our faces, bit my nose, tried to climb out the window, tweaked our nipples (TMI? Nah), and at one point was sitting on Cassidy’s neck and pulling my hair repeatedly. It was a rough night.
– Driving back to Massachusetts in a ridiculous downpour. You know that kind of heavy rain in which you can’t see two feet in front of you and many people pull over, but it’s usually ok because it only lasts ten minutes or so? This lasted for over four hours.