Like One Pan Penne Pasta with other goodies!
That’s exactly what I love. The thing is, meal planning doesn’t come easily for us. In fact, I think we’re downright awful at it – because poor Scarlet had to take matters into her own hands and create a weekly menu for us. I think she got sick of indecision and takeout? That said, I LOVE her menu plan. It’s well-rounded enough and allows room for creativity. We have a grilled cheese night, a rainbow salad night (which basically means a rainbow of colors has to be used – and it’s super healthy), a soup night – which is awesome for the upcoming fall weather, a leftovers night, and of course – a pasta night.
The thing about my kids is that they ARE adventurous eaters, to an extent, and it’s just about how to be mellow about them trying new things (rather than singing and dancing every time a vegetable is eaten) and we have to provide an assortment of choices for them to eat. Des will mostly eat anything at times, and other times, would eat waffles for all three meals. Scarlet is more of the surprise. She acts super picky most of the time, and then will eat something totally new and outrageous (for her). Last night it was a spring roll. And with the addition of our vegetable garden this year, she will eat anything as long as we grow it. I love that about her. She gets the whole homegrown thing. It has allowed for better meals.
How do you make it?
This one pan penne pasta with meatballs and arugula is something we all eat. My kids have this strange thing where they’ll only eat meatballs if Mama prepares them. Fine, that’s good for me. I just head to Stop & Shop for Carando Italian Meatballs. They love arugula, but only if it comes from our garden. This summer, we have an abundance of leafy and micro greens. Awesome. Have you ever tried using arugula in your one pan pasta dish? Turns out, it can be done! This recipes uses FIVE ingredients.
You will need a Bertolli Olive Oil, a Bertolli Pasta Sauce, and Carando Italian Meatballs or Sausage. You can pick all of these up at Stop & Shop (or your local Ahold banner store) and check out the Stop & Shop coupon page for savings!
While there are quite a few products to choose from, I have no doubt that all of them will lead to a simple, great tasting, high-quality, family-approved meal solution! No doubts there. You see, I’m from one of five kids and it wasn’t like it is these days where I have been known to make more than one dinner. In my childhood, there was one choice and you either liked it, or had to eat it anyway! I really see where my parents were coming from there, as it’s such a waste of time/efforts to make too many meals. That’s why I have come to a bit of a compromise. I want to make ONE meal for all four of us, but I make one I know we will all like. I think that’s the way to having an enjoyable family dinner. I’ll teach you my simple recipe!
One Pan Penne Pasta With Arugula and Meatballs
- 2 Tbsp Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 - 1/2 jar of Bertolli Olive Oil & Garlic Pasta Sauce
- 2 handfuls (cups) of arugula
- Package Carando Abruzzese Italian Style Meatballs
- 1 heaping cup Pasta of choice (we chose penne)
- Add Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil to straight-sided pot or pan
- Cook meatballs on medium-high heat until they're no longer pink (remember that they'll keep cooking throughout the recipe)
- Once the meatballs are well-browned, measure out pasta and set aside
- Add about 1 1/2 cups of water to pan and then add pasta
- Turn up heat until it's boiling and then set to simmer for about 15 minutes
- Stir frequently while pasta cooks and if the pasta absorbs all liquid, add more and keep stirring
- When it seems perfect (you'll know), grab your arugula or greens of choice!
- Add your handfuls of chopped arugula to the pan and stir
- Add your Bertolli Olive Oil & Garlic Pasta Sauce to the pan and stir
- It might look like too much arugula but it will reduce and wilt and be perfect!
- Taste for seasoning and doneness and sauce amounts, and enjoy!
And then I recommend, as a final step, that you relax, take a deep breath and dig in! Five quality ingredients! You cannot beat that! My daughter loves the meatballs best, and admits that they’re cooked perfectly in the olive oil, and covered gorgeously by the sauce. Des always has me buy Bertolli brand products. It’s funny that a five-year-old is so choosy, but he knows what he likes, and he recognizes the packaging, always. He knows that he loves a variety of their sauces and oils.
Now, tell me! How do you like your Bertolli and Carando? Are you a meatballs or a sausage fan? What’s your favorite pasta sauce? Did you know that Bertolli has an Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil? So much goodness for SUCH a great meal.
Where do we find all of these amazing products? You can find them at your local Ahold store! Carando products are in the meat aisle/section. Bertolli Pasta Sauce products are in the pasta aisle, and Olive Oil products are located in the oils aisle.