Before I begin… as I begin.. Happy Birthday to my totally gorgeous little sister.
This was supposed to be a post dedicated to her, and the rest of my family, but life got in the way. Life in the way of freak rainstorms, work negotiations, daycare research, birthday party planning, Tuesday market runs, emails, more emails, work, more work, dog-sitting and just plain it being too hot upstairs and me being too stubborn to turn on the central air. Yet.
So my sisterly homage will be published on Monday. And it will be June by then. Yikes!
1. Juicy berry picking… with a twist! Juicy berry picking in OUR OWN YARD! Ahhh! There is no taste on earth quite like fresh fruits and vegetables from your garden. We’ve been working hard in the garden this year. By “we”, I mean Cassidy.
2. Tanglewood! It’s become a bit of a summer thing for us. We go with one set of in-laws and have a beautiful picnic spread. For our first year there, it was Beethoven’s 9th. Last year was Yo-Yo Ma and Dvorák. Who or what will we hear this year??
3. A road trip for our ten year anniversary of meeting. Cassidy and I met late July 1st in NYC. Then we went to Long Island. Then western Mass, where I had never been (oddly), and then we wound up in Maine – in a town called Bethel. Fireworks were going off as we drove in, as if to welcome us. Then, we saw our first moose. Scarlet made us promise on New Year’s Day that this would be the year we see a moose together as a family. There are hard ways to find them, and there are lucky easy ways too.
4. Buying a bathing suit. And using it! I haven’t bought a bathing suit in five years and that one doesn’t do it for me anymore. Also, I can still wear two pieces, right? I’m still young(ish)! The thought of a one piece bathing suit honestly gives me 8th grade flashback horrors. I say work it if you’ve got it. Unless you’re at the YMCA with your kids’ preschool classmates. Then maybe lay off the Victoria’s Secret swimwear? Maybe. I don’t make the rules. You all rock what you want to rock!
5. A great summer concert! Last summer we did a Warren Haynes night with Boston Pops. This year.. favorites are teaming up. Tom Petty with Steve Winwood (heart palpitations!). Counting Crows with Toad the Wet Sprocket. My 14-year-old self is shaking her fist at me and telling me to buy those tickets!
6. I want to be the best wedding co-planner in the world for my sister’s fall wedding. I always dreamed this day would come, as surely as I dreamed up my own wedding day. She really deserves it. Whatever she needs from me, I’m there.
7. Star gazing with the kids and/or fireworks. Things in the sky!
8. Ringing in the three birthdays in style. Des is first with a June 13th birthday, which is technically still spring on the calendar year, but it will be the same day as Scarlet’s preschool graduation. So it really is the start of our summer. Then Scarlet will turn five on July 9th. I’m following not long after her on July 25th.
9. I want to not fully say goodbye to preschool. That’s right. There’s still another month of it because our school is doing a summer pilot day camp program. We might put Des into a home daycare program next year and it is run by people from our school community. My real bucket list item is to survive these spring/summer/fall transitions.
10. I’m going to wear my sundresses like I own them. (I do) I’m going to eat ice cream like I own it. (I plan to) I’m going to feast on all of the summer delights. All of them. Sprinkles. Hoses. Bubbles. Tortellini Pasta Salad with bits of pepperoni in it (oddly specific, no?), dog parks, beach trips to Cape Cod, cotton candy, fairs, boardwalks, watermelon. You name it. I’m going to eat it. Or wear it. Or kiss it. Yes. I’m going to kiss it.