This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #WholeBlends #CollectiveBias
Friends knew I was going to do it, and mentioned how lovely and natural it was when they saw me. Other than that, I don’t think I got one double take. I had waited a long time to color my hair. I’ve always loved the deep rich brown with slight red highlights that I have, and I never felt like changing that. Until the day I did. Over time, my hair had become four colors.
I have had blonde and grey hairs under the top layer of my hair for as long as I can remember. I’ve kept my hair super long for over a decade, and the hair on the ends has gotten lighter over time, and with sun exposure. A not-nice, two-tone sort of thing. I was sick of it. I was ready for something new for spring. I’m in my 30’s and I’ve always had thick and glossy hair. I thought it would break my heart to get it colored, but the experience was anything but heart-breaking. It was..fun. It was a way to keep my own hair color with a transparent glaze and add some shine as well. My natural highlights would remain, but I would be able to put my hair up again, without people seeing all the grey, blonde and light brown underneath. I was over it!
My stylist talked me through the process and I was happy when she revealed that I still looked just like.. me! Only shinier and with my birth hair color, instead of the four ancient colors. I had begun to call them ancient colors because they had been a part of my life for over ten years. So now I officially have color-treated hair and it’s time to make the best of it. Not only with the fun of it, but with the care of my color-treated hair. Summer is coming, and with it – full sun. I need to keep my hair its healthiest during the warmer months. It all starts with my favorite hair products – Garnier Whole Blends Color Care.
The scent is intoxicating. I always look for good smelling products, especially during the summer months when I have to wash my hair more than during the winter months. I love the way these products enhance everyday life through wholesome loving care. They work to give you naturally beautiful hair. How do you keep your hair at its healthiest during the warmer months? There are key ways to protect and nourish your color-treated hair, whether you’re a color newbie or you’ve colored for years.
1. Treat your hair like you would your skin! Cover it up from UV rays. If you’re going to be outside for a long period of time, you can wear a sun hat, or look for leave-in treatments by your favorite brand with UV absorbers that filter out the rays.
2. Choose a stylist that will use quality, conditioning hair colors – that will continue to condition your hair as the weeks go by. Natural oils in the color will help retain moisture. Ammonia-free color is another great professional option.
3. Avoid getting chlorine on color-treated hair! If you do spend a lot of time in the pool, wet your hair and apply a protective leave-in conditioner first. The chemicals in chlorine can add buildup to hair color and change it. You can also wear a swim cap. On that note, wear a shower cap in the shower on days you aren’t shampooing, because wet hair can cause some color to fade, chlorine or not. When you ARE washing your hair, the colder the water, the more the color sticks to your hair.
4. Vitamins and supplements can help with the health of your color-treated hair. As always, eat a diet rich in Vitamin C to keep blood vessels in the scalp healthy, and eat Biotin (found in salmon, carrots, egg yolks, sardines) to improve hair strength and texture. You can also take supplements when you are lacking vitamins in your diet.
5. Use a color-protecting shampoo, conditioner and hair mask. As you know, I use Garnier Whole Blends Color Care products. Traditional products don’t necessarily take away the color, but they don’t add anything. When you work with color protecting and extending products, they work by sealing your hair cuticle so that your strands hold on to the dye inside.
Garnier Whole Blends Color Care products are filled with wholesome loving care, for naturally beautiful hair. They are made with carefully-selected ingredients in formulas that are made to nourish deeply, hydrate, and repair your hair:
Repairing – Honey Treasures
Hydrating – Cocnut Water and Vanilla Milk
Smoothing – Coconut Oil and Cocoa Butter
Refreshing – Green Apple and Green Tea
Nourishing – Avocado Oil and Shea Butter
Color Care – Argan Oil and Cranberry Extracts
Garnier Whole Blends Color Care with Argan Oil and Cranberry Extracts contains a color-protecting formula with the esssence of argan oil and cranberry. I’ve forever been a fan of cranberry extracts in my products, and my hair has been shiny and delicious-smelling ever since I made the switch. I’m a big fan of the color care mask. After using the shampoo, I apply a generous amount of mask to my hair and then rinse. I love that people haven’t noticed that I color glazed my hair. I prefer to keep it that way, with the help of these great products!