Homemade Spaghetti and Meatballs:
Spaghetti and meatballs is a fool-proof, family favorite dish that never goes out of style! Whether it’s a mid-week pick-me-up or a special occasion dinner, there are no limits to the times and places you can serve up tasty spaghetti and meatballs!
To make the best spaghetti and meatballs, you might be fooled into thinking you need loads of bespoke ingredients and hours of time, but it’s actually quick and easy to make this dinner!
To make this spaghetti and meatballs recipe even better, we’ve also included a spaghetti pasta recipe, so you can really impress your guests by producing an entire meal with no store-bought components in sight! That said, we won’t blame you if you cheat and buy the noodles… But you do need to make the sauce!
Homemade Spaghetti and Meatballs Recipe
- 1lb spaghetti noodles (see below for our homemade spaghetti noodles recipe or buy from the store)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/3 cups breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Pinch Kosher salt
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cups onion, finely chopped
- 1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cook your store-bought spaghetti noodles in salted water according to package instructions (or see below for homemade noodles), then drain and set aside.
- Combine the ground beef with breadcrumbs, parsley, parmesan, egg, 1 tsp salt, and red pepper flakes in a large bowl.
- Mix thoroughly, then form 16 balls using your hands.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add your meatballs and cook for approximately 10 minutes, occasionally turning, until they’re browned on all sides.
- Transfer your meatballs to a plate while you make the sauce.
- Add onions to the still-hot pan and cook until soft (approximately 5 minutes).
- Add the crushed tomatoes and bay leaf, season well with salt and pepper, then bring the pan to a summer.
- Return the meatballs to the sauce, put the lid on the pan, and simmer until the sauce has thickened (8-10 minutes, or longer).
- Serve your pasta with a generous helping of the meatballs and sauce, topping with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Homemade Spaghetti Noodles
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Place the flour directly onto a clean work surface, making a nest with a hole in the middle.
- Add eggs, olive oil, and salt to the center of the nest.
- Use a fork to break up the eggs, gently, keeping the walls of the nest intact.
- Use your hands to incorporate the flour by pushing it into the center and incorporate it with the wet ingredients.
- Work the dough until it forms a shaggy ball, and all the ingredients are combined.
- Knead for 8-10 minutes until a smooth ball forms.
- If the dough feels too dry, sprinkle your fingers with a little water. If it’s too wet, add a little more flour.
- Mold the dough into a ball, wrap with plastic wrap, then set aside to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- While the dough rests, dust 2 large baking sheets with flour.
- Once the dough has rested, slice into four pieces and gently flatten each piece into an oval-shaped disk.
- Set your pasta maker to the largest setting (level 1) and run the dough through it three times.
- After the third roll, set the dough onto your work surface, fold the short ends to meet the center, then fold the dough in half to create a rectangle shape.
- Roll the folded dough back through the pasta maker three times at level 2, then three times on level 3, then once each on levels 4, 5, and 6.
- Lay your rolled pasta sheet onto the floured baking sheet, sprinkling with a little extra flour, then fold in half. Top with another sprinkling of flour. – Sprinkling flour on every side will ensure your noodles don’t stick together while cooking.
- Repeat the steps with the remaining pasta dough.
- Once you’ve rolled all the dough, run your pasta sheets through the spaghetti cutter attachment, then cook the noodles for 1-2 minutes in boiling salted water.
Best Ever Spaghetti and Meatballs
By not only making your meatballs and sauce from scratch, this 100% homemade spaghetti and meatballs recipe is sure to be the most delicious and impressive version of the dish you’ve ever tasted! What’s more, it’s relatively easy to make and requires only ingredients you’re likely to have at home.
We think this is the best spaghetti and meatballs recipe we’ve ever had, and we’re sure you’ll agree!