This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #PreparedWithCVS #CollectiveBias
In fact, I got to BE one when I lived in San Francisco and worked at a beloved, historical bed & breakfast. In some ways, I had scored my dream job. I’m happiest when I’m doing all of the things that speak to me – writing, photographing, nurturing. I was missing two of those things back then, but these days I’m working on all three as a mother. I’ll always be an Innkeeper in spirit, and one trait I shared heavily with the Inn I used to work at, is a love for “thinking of everything” and being prepared.
As you can see from photos, our house looks a bit like a ski lodge. My friend likes to affectionately call it a “House of Rest, Relaxation and Respite. We really like people to come here and feel absolutely welcome and comfortable. Like this:
I’m a chocolate on the pillows type of person. We host so very many people during the winter and I love to build mini medicine cabinet-like baskets for my guests. I have always loved the idea of having everyone safe and snug and comfortable under my roof and I think it’s a natural part of who I am. Sometimes it gets lost in translation and details, and I don’t know if I’ll ever be an Innkeeper again for real, but I think I’ll always be one in spirit. Now that the winter season is upon us, earlier and earlier, I love to prepare for it by stocking up on seasonal essentials at CVS. I try to anticipate many guest needs.
Since my kids are little nurturers as well, I took Des with me to CVS this week to see if we could put together a fun little “hotel/soap/medicine cabinet basket” for upcoming winter guests. He loved helping! This is what we picked out together:
1. Saltines! Honestly, what can’t they do? It’s always nice to have crackers in your home for soup and comfort. Comfort and soup. We use them when we’re not feeling well, when we ARE feeling well, and just to have on hand for guests.
2. HALLS! I think it’s important to prepare the home, and our visitors, for whatever the winter season may bring. Sometimes we’re not feeling our best, and getting symptom relief of coughs and scratchy throats makes our guests comfortable.
3. Lysol! I like to buy the disinfecting wipes. It’s just such a nice addition to our hotel “soap baskets” because they come in handy nearly daily during the winter season. Lysol kills 99.9% of bacteria on soft surfaces.
4. Kleenex! Of course this is important. We go through a lot of boxes at home, so I always like to make sure our guests have their own boxes – that haven’t been manhandled by Des. He will use a tissue and then stuff it back in a box. Ugh!
5. Smartwater! This is honestly my favorite water and I have it on hand constantly for hydration.
Putting together this basket with the kids is fun. They like to add their own little twists – like with stuffies or CVS chocolates or gum, and of course, I like to add moose soap. It feels really incredible to rediscover my Innkeeper roots, and to create a “home away from home” for my guests. CVS will be running a week-long National Promotion featuring these seasonal essentials, starting the week of November 15th! Starting Sunday the 15th, through the end of the week, if you spend $15 at your CVS store, you will receive $5 in extrabucks. Do you have a CVS near you? Store locator link HERE.