This post was sponsored by Window Covering Safety Council as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
Last spring, I talked about making your home safer, per the Window Covering Safety Council. Since then, a new safety standard passed in December 2018 – that affects the availability of corded window coverings in retailers. Now, if you wish to purchase corded window coverings, you must special-order these fixtures directly through manufacturers, rather than purchasing in-store. And because of this, it’s now easy to purchase safer cordless window coverings.
Going Cordless For National Safety Month:
Make sure to never place a crib or playpen near a window blind, and to prevent strangulation, use cordless blinds or you can install safety devices on blind cords. You can also install window guards or stops to prevent falls. As a mother of young children, National Safety Month is a wonderful time to learn how to make an even safer home, to ensure your little ones are safer. We have used cordless window shades since Scarlet was born – in our old house. And now every window in the house has cordless shades, or no window covering at all. The kids have shades.
I’ve heard stories, not only about children, but about pets getting tangled in cords. So we made that decision long ago – only cordless blinds and shades in our house. And I think it’s important to spread this message. Check your window coverings for exposed or dangling cords, which can pose a strangulation hazard to infants and young children. You can replace them with cordless products. And only install cordless window coverings, or those with inaccessible cords, in homes with young children. To tell you’re making the right choice when selecting window coverings, cordless options can easily be identified by the Best for Kids™ certification label.
Corded window coverings are one of the top five hidden hazards in American homes.
Another top hidden hazard in the American home is magnets. Small magnets are powerful, and if swallowed, can attract inside the body and block, twist, or tear your intestines. Seek medical attention immediately if you think your child has swallowed a magnet. Another hidden hazard I’d have never thought about is pools and spa drains. The suction from a spa or pool drain can be powerful enough to trap a child, or even an adult, underwater. Make sure to inspect pools and spas for missing or broken drain covers. Now that June is here, and it’s National Safety Month, it’s a wonderful time to examine your home and find ways to improve safety.
So, what about you? Are you going to celebrate National Safety Month by examining your windows, and the top five hidden hazards in the American home? Some of them really surprised me. I think it’s important to talk about these dangers, and to help make the world safer for other parents. Please share this post and tell me in the comments what you do for safety.