This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FavoritesInAMix #CollectiveBias
Lately, Scarlet and I have shifted into a nighttime routine that just seemed to happen on its own. Cassidy was out or busy or working a few times, and even though he’s been the bedtime guy for years now, ever since I was pregnant with Des and then also handling a newborn, I enjoy putting the kids to bed. I enjoy the process of putting one, two, and then three blankets over her – no matter what time of year it is. I enjoy the back scratches, strange questions, and short stories. Only recently did she want me to tell her real stories from my childhood and young adulthood, rather than the made up “door in the floor” stories I had been telling her since toddlerhood. In many ways, this is exactly why I always wanted to be a parent before this.
With our long Alaska trip and having the kids go to “Nana Camp” for nine days, as well as getting a little lost in the shuffle of daily life – camp, school, friends, activities, learning, reading, writing, sports, whatever, I miss my girl sometimes. It’s not that she needs me less than she used to, but it’s that she is having longer intervals of time away from home. This is growing up. This is what I want for her, but I miss her gorgeous face – and more importantly – the words that come out of her mouth.
I was shopping at Target, unsurprisingly, and I found four NEW Pillsbury™ Girl Scout™ flavored baking mixes in the baking aisle. I’m always looking for products that bond Scarlet and me together. They excited us quite a bit in four flavors:
And, here are the flavors!
2. Girl Scouts® Caramel & Coconut Cookie Mix
3. Girl Scouts® Thin Mints® Brownie Mix
4. Girl Scouts® Thin Mints® Cupcake Mix
So of course I picked up a couple so I could let Scarlet decide which one she wanted to make together. I was a Girl Scout when I was just a little older than she is, and some of my favorite memories of my troop meetings were when we baked together! In the fall, we made caramel apples and cupcakes. In the spring, we sold cookies. I love that my favorite cookie flavors can now be found in brownies or cupcakes. This is a special memory for me, and now it’s time to make more for her:
The Pillsbury™ Girl Scout™ flavored baking mixes are so easy to use, and they come out so beautifully! I love the chocolate mint taste, and the ganache is probably my favorite part, although the cupcakes are equally good. It melts in your mouth!
Pillsbury™ Girl Scout™ flavored baking mixes are an easy and creative way to bring loved ones together, with the products and flavors that everyone loves. Clearly, I’m a fan. We bonded quite a bit while baking together over the weekend.
Five Things You Can Do Together to Get Your Kids to Open Up to You:
- Of course, I’ll say this first. Make a meal or bake a snack or dessert together. It requires concentration, but there’s also downtime. Notice the conversation openers and jump on them! Also try to listen before instantly jumping in to offer advice.
- Teach them something. Whether it’s something you love – in my case writing and photography – something new that they love, or a new skill, it creates so much opportunity for conversation. Like when Scarlet taught herself to tie her own shoes!
- Have a picnic together! They say to make sure you connect with each of your children every single day, and I love to have one-on-one picnics with mine. We talk about everything buzzing around us, and also about the deeper things on our minds.
- Build “special time” with each child into your routine, every day. If that’s bedtime, great, because that’s when I can tell my kids all the stories that mean so much to me, and pass along the most special memories I have to the people I love most.
- Stay open and available. Listen. Look them in the eyes. Respect them. Always be there. You know, just like you’re doing.
Pillsbury™ Girl Scout™ flavored baking mixes bring us together in conversation and love.
Finally, how do you get your kids to open up to you? Do you like baking? What flavor of Pillsbury™ Girl Scout™ Baking Mixes looks best to you? Right now, there’s a Cartwheel offer at Target. Save 20% off purchase of product from 7/31 – 10/1!