Honestly, it’s always a bit shocking when it hits, but we are loving life in New England and ready to hunker down and get through winter. One idea that’s really popular around here and to our family is to find ways to save on electricity. I live in Massachusetts which is a very green and conscientious place to live, and I love the support we get to lower our energy bills.
I want 2016 to be a big year for the four of us. Direct Energy allows residents of MA to save money on electricity bills. This is big, because winter can be very hard on us! We have a pellet stove and oil heat for backup. We pay a lot of money to run the pellet stove and the boiler. We have big plans to go to Disney World in February and then start planning a trip for summer. If we’re paying all of our vacation money towards our electricity bills and the like, then there are no vacations to plan! That’s why it’s important to find ways to save on energy, and to teach them to our kids too. We’re in New England for the long haul!
1. During the colder months, turn down your heat at night or when you’re gone. You can save as much as 20% a year on heating bills just by adjusting a programmable thermostat by 4 to 8 degrees. It can be set up to suit your lifestyle.
2. Upgrade your appliances to newer and more energy-efficient models. Many state and local governments, and many utility companies will offer financial incentives for homeowners to make these upgrades. This can be in the form of rebate checks.
3. Use the force! As in, the force of the sun. The sun should be the focus of temperature control in your home, if you open the curtains or blinds on your south-facing windows during cold winter days. It will bring free heat into your home. On the flip side, close your window curtains and blinds when the sun goes down so you can keep heat inside.
4. This is a big one for us – keep your furnace unblocked and clean! You should check your filter monthly, and replace it when it gets dirty. When you keep your vents cleaned, it will reduce energy consumption and help you save.
5. Check your electric rates! You can save with Direct Energy. They offer a fixed-rate energy plan, which means that your rate will not fluctuate. Direct Energy has special offers in Massachusetts for the month of January:
• Save up to 30%* over National Grid MA’s electricity rate, and up to 8%* over Eversource’s electricity rate.
*All savings refers to the current difference between Direct Energy’s fixed rate offer and the Utility’s current Fixed Rate for Basic Service as of January 8, 2016, and does not include any other component of the electricity bill. Utility rates are subject to change and there may be no savings following the respective official utility rate change date. Direct Energy’s fixed rates include electricity supply charges only and excludes delivery/transmission charges, taxes, and all other utility-related charges. Offer is limited and valid for new residential customers only.