This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #UltimateLitter #CollectiveBias
I’ve been talking about my cat, Penny, a lot lately, right?
It’s because she’s often on my mind! She even stole the show during Athena’s vet appointment today, because we started talking about cats after I had used up all of my dog questions. I had a LOT more questions about the cat in the long run.
We joked that cats always look disdainful in their photos, and that it’s hard to take photographs of cats.
Before I became whatever I am now – a blogger and family/maternity/newborn/wedding/real estate/anything else photographer, I originally set out to only be a pet or wildlife photographer. Why? It seemed easier in some ways and harder in others. One of the biggest obstacles is that pets don’t take a lot of direction, other than the usual commands to sit, stay, lie down, shake, etc. And that’s for dogs! Another thing is that animals never look self-conscious. There is the disdainful problem with cats, but even that can be worked with. I have experience with pet photography. I have experience with pets.
Shopping for pets can be daunting, but luckily Walmart makes it easy for us. We pick out food, treats, grooming items, and toys. Then it’s time to buy cat litter. Cats are complicated, aren’t they? And shopping for them can be too. Luckily great litter is simple. We happily use Cat’s Pride® Fresh & Light Ultimate Care®. Why? The number one reason is that Penny is a clean cat, but you’d never know it from her little “living area” in our finished basement. She’ll drop her food around her bowl. She’ll drop pieces of cat litter around her litter box. Ultimate Care has low dust and tracking, and the strongest clumps.
We have finally noticed a difference since we started using it.
Our Walmart has an end cap display, and Ultimare Care is also easily found on the cat litter shelves in the Pet Care section.
Ultimate Care is US mined and has an all clay formula. It’s now over 50% lighter at ten pounds (†See packaging for details), and has 10+ day odor control & powerful absorption. (*Based on laboratory testing, when used as directed)
Why else do I love Ultimate Care? A good cat litter means a cleaner house. A cleaner house means a happier cat. Yes, believe it or not. Some cats are extremely finicky. Penny will yell at me if I don’t keep her area clean. Happier cats (and happier humans) means better photographs! I’m a professional photographer and people ask me ALL THE TIME how to take better photos of their cats. Cats can be so hard to photograph! That’s why I’m giving you Five Tips to Get Great Photos Of Cats:
1. Bring toys! Actually that’s how it works with babies and toddlers too, come to think of it. And dogs! Cats love toys. I try to dangle ones with sound near my camera lens so the cat will look at me with interest, and not disdain.
2. Watch your manual settings. You’re going to want to pay strong attention to your settings. I have a bright white cat and I used to have a black cat. I’d have to let more light into the lens with a dark cat than with Penny.
3. Never use flash. That’s actually a general rule for me with photography, unless you’ve got a bounce set-up. The light will irritate the cat’s eyes, bounce off metal features if you’re shooting shelter pets, and will darken out the background. Instead, try to get as much light as possible from natural settings – doors and windows are great. Cats love windows. You can also use an external flash with a diffuser if there is no available natural light. I try to get as creative as possible.
4. Use props that aren’t just toys. A beautiful blanket? A cardboard box? A throw pillow? A.. dollhouse? Strange but true. Cats are quirky animals and you never know what they’ll do, but it’s great to capture them naturally.
5. Get close. Fill the frame with that beautiful feline face. Focus on the eyes because like humans, they get catchlights and have unique colors. Get on the cat’s level and try unique perspectives. Up. Down. All around!
Cat’s Pride® does amazing work out there. They are proud to partner with the Jason Debus Heigl Foundation™ to help end the needless suffering of animals. With every sale of Fresh & Light Ultimate Care®, a portion of every sale supports the Foundation and their mission to end animal cruelty. They also partner with and support the American Humane Association.
No Purchase Necessary. The #UltimateLitter Sweepstakes begins on 3/15/16 at 12:00 A.M. ET and ends on 4/25/16 at 11:59:59 PM ET. Legal residents of the 50 US/DC only, 18+. Void where prohibited. For Official Rules, click below.
Cat’s Pride Fresh & Light Ultimate Care Cat Litter
For more info about Cat’s Pride® Fresh & Light Ultimate Care®, go HERE.